This page lists most of the images used in lecture for the course General Biology II (BIO 101) taught by Professor Tiftickjian. It may also include additional images not used in lecture but related to topics discussed. These images are arranged approximately in the order that they are covered in the course. Click the picture name to view the image. Images used directly within the lecture outlines may not be duplicated in this list. If you are looking for a particular image that is not listed here, go to the lecture outline for the appropriate topic to see if the image is shown there.
This list is updated fairly frequently. Check back occasionally to see if new pictures have been posted. As this list is relatively new, there may by some links that do not yet work. Such problems should be corrected soon.
Survey of organisms
Domains Bacteria and Archaea
- Bacteria Cell Shapes
- Coccus bacterium (SEM)
- Bacillus bacterium (SEM)
- Electron micrograph of bacterium (TEM)
- Gloeocapsa, a colonial cyanobacterium
- Oscillatoria, a filamentous cyanobacterium
- Arthrospira, a spiral shaped filamentous cyanobacterium
- Anabaena, cyanobacterium with heterocysts
- Mammoth Springs, Yellowstone Park, WY
- Mammoth Hot Springs, another view
Life Cycles of Algae, Fungi, and Plants
Division Chlorophyta (green algae)
- Flagellate cell structure
- Chlamydomonas, a unicelluar flagellate
- Chlamydomonas, gametes clumping
- Volvox aureus
- Desmids, unicellular
- Scenedesmus, a colonial species
- Pediastrum, another colony type
- Ulothrix, a simple filament
- Oedogonium, with antheridia and oogonia
- Stigeoclonium, a branched filament
- Stigeoclonium, higher magnification
- Ulva (sea lettuce)
- Saccharomyces (baker's yeast)
- Fungus mycelium
- Allomyces, a chytrid)
- Allomyces gametes
- Rhizopus, a zygomycete
- Aspergillus producing conidia
- Peziza, a cup fungus with asci
- Gill mushroom, a basidiomycete
- Shelf fungi, a basidiomycete
- Shelf fungus
- Crustose lichens
- Reindeer moss, a fruticose lichen
- Typical liverwort
- Marchantia, a liverwort, note gemma cups
- Marchantia gametophyte, x.s.
- Marchantia antheridia, l.s.
- Marchantia antheridium, l.s.
- Marchantia archegonium, l.s.
- Marchantia sporophyte, l.s.
- Marchantia spores and elaters
- Moss gametophytes
- Mosses with sporophytes
Seedless vascular plants
- Psilotum nudum
- Resurrection fern
- Fern fiddlehead (crozier)
- Tree fern
- Tree fern leaves
- Tree fern fiddlehead
- Cinnamon fern with dimorphic leaves
- Fern sori
- Fern sporangia
- Fern gametophyte
- Fern life cycle
- Coniferous forest (Wallowa lake, Oregon)
- Pinus branch
- Pinus male cones
- Pinus branch with male and female cones
- Abies (fir) female cones
- Zamia, a cycad
- Zamia male cones
- Cycas, a palm-like cycad
- Flower organs
- Flower being pollinated
- Angiosperm life cycle
Examples of dicot flowers
- Magnolia fruit
- Clematis detail
- Nymphaea (Water Lily)
- Opuntia (a cactus)
- Aquilegia (Columbine) side view
- Aquilegia (Columbine) top view
- Aquilegia (Columbine) petal spurs
- Oxalis (Wood Sorrel)
- Oenothera speciosa (Evening Primrose)
- Monarda punctata
- Ipomoea cordatotriloba (Morning Glory)
- Vaccinium arboreum(Sparkleberry)
- Cornus florida (dogwood)
Examples of monocot flowers
Structure of vascular plants
- Basic plant organs
- Apium (Celery) shoot apex (SEM)
- Coleus shoot apex l.s.
- Zea root apex l.s.
- Helianthus (dicot) stem, x.s. ring of vascular bundles
- Helianthus (Sunflower) stem x.s. higher magnification
- Helianthus (Sunflower) stem x.s. single vascular bundle
- Apium (Celery) collenchyma x.s.
- Zea mays (monocot) stem, x.s. scattered vascular bundles
Modifications of the Shoot
- Pinus wood and bark x.s.
- Quercus (oak) wood and bark x.s.
- Medicago (Alfalfa) young stem x.s. initiation of vascular cambium
- Medicago (Alfalfa) older stem x.s. cambium complete
- Sambucus (Elderberry) stem x.s. early secondary growth
- Pinus (Pine) stem x.s. How old is this stem?
- Fraxinus (Ash) stem x.s. How old is this stem?